WHAT'S NEW?
Loading...

GAME REVIEW | Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze

Ahhh yes, the ancient rivalry between penguins and apes! 

This is a really hard game! I'm not the greatest at platformers, but I have fond memories of playing level after lever of the SNES games without too much difficulty... I can't be getting old right?

I have only played the game in multiplayer so that's the only experience I can speak to.. But I miss the days when dedicated multiplayer was an option in games. In DKTP, Player 1 is forced to play as Donkey Kong while Player 2 can choose between Cranky, Dixie or Diddy Kong. Each Kong has their own skill, but they all generally perform the same task. You kill enemies by bouncing on their heads or throwing something at them.

I started as DK and quickly got frustrated with how hard he was to control in the air. So many times we would die from silly things like seemingly easy jumps. His sprint is also unpredictable because you can overshoot your landing... Especially when you're forced to play the character, it can get a little frustrating! Especially when you share lives with teammates, if one person keeps dropping the ball then it's really easy to run out of extra tries. My partner and I found it easier to just use up the four lives and game over than to buy extra lives.

So far my favourite Kong to play as is Dixie, because her helicopter banana hair gives you a little more control while in the air. Cranky has an interesting cane jump so he doesn't get hurt by spikey pitfalls, but there are so many drops so far in the game that I'd much prefer having the control in the air.


The levels are pretty fun! With lots of platforms and dynamic views. The barrels you can jump into will sometimes shoot you into the background where you'll be chased by various scary things. The enemies are generally very weird.... penguins, owls, fire pigs...? Then again, it's not like crocodiles made much sense either. Also the random pig allies at checkpoint are weird... I don't get it.

And let's not talk about DK's creepy voice!


Let's talk about graphics. This is a beautiful game! I enjoyed the immersion in each stunning scene and the effects seemed to work together. I liked the familiar-made-new style from the older games for a new generation. And just look at that fluffy gorilla! So soft...

I've been looking forward to new games with co-op being a strong focus in the gameplay. I'm tired of games that treat multiplayer as solely means for PVP. I think sharing the surge of excitement after beating one of these levels with a partner is really great and the level difficulty is refreshing to say the least. If you're looking to share some of that Donkey Kong nostalgia with your kids then maybe give this one a shot. You'll definitely need a lot of patience, but I think it's worth the grind for such a good game.

0 comments:

Post a Comment